City Hall-Second Floor
208 N. First Avenue
Alpena, Michigan 49707
|Assistant City Engineer
It is the responsibility of the Engineering Department to oversee the capital infrastructure projects occurring within and for the City of Alpena. The Engineering Department designs most of these projects with its in-house staff and is performing more in-house design by using its new computer-aided, drafting system.
The Engineering Department oversees:
- Tree Planting Partnership Program
- Voluntary Sidewalk Program
- Contractual operation of the water and wastewater plan
- Water and wastewater plant capital improvements
- Capital improvement program for all infrastructure improvements
- Street system (compliance with Act 51)
- Bituminous pavement repair and paving program
- Pavement marking program
- Sign inventory
- Water distribution maintenance
- Wastewater collection maintenance
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is my property line?
Generally speaking, your property line is 18 inches behind the sidewalk; however, there are some exceptions.
Can I plant trees in the right-of-way?
Yes, however, you must have permission from the City of Alpena. Furthermore, only certain trees can be planted in the right-of-way.
How do I get sidewalk installed or replaced in front of my property?
You can contact the City Engineer’s office to schedule a meeting to discuss the sidewalk to be installed or replaced, and you will be given an estimate of your cost to have the sidewalk work performed.
When is a right-of-way permit needed, and how do I obtain one?
A right-of-way permit is required any time work is performed in the right-of-way or adjacent to it. A permit can be obtained from the City Engineer’s Office and can usually be issued immediately. In some instances an on-site inspection must be performed prior to issuance of the permit, which can delay the process by one or two days.