Election Information

Election Information

The City of Alpena is part of the State Wide Qualified Voter’s File (QVF). This voter’s file works in conjunction with driver’s license records.  Effective April 1, 2000, Michigan law requires that the same address must be used for driver license and voter registration purposes.  Therefore, if the residence address you provide for driver license/personal I.D. card purposes differs from your voter registration address as it appears on the Qualified Voter File, the Secretary of State will automatically change your voter registration to match the residence address on your driver license/personal I.D. card, after which your voter registration at your former address will no longer be valid for voting purposes. A new voter registration card, containing the information of your polling place, will be provided to you by the clerk of the jurisdiction where your residence address is located.

Some situations, such as a voter who has moved or changed his/her name, could cause the voter’s name to be inadvertently removed from the QVF precinct list. The Clerk’s Office maintains all voters in a master card file and is checked when missing voters are brought to our attention. If you have not voted within the last few years, please call the Clerk’s Office to check that you are registered and entered correctly into our system.

You can register to vote at the Secretary of State’s branch office, the County Clerk’s Office, or the City Clerk’s Office.

If you are not sure if you are registered to vote, please call the City of Alpena Clerk’s Office at 989.354.1720.

To apply for an absentee ballot online click here

Frequently Asked Questions

I’ve moved – where do I vote?
If you have moved within the city and have not changed your registered address, you vote at your old precinct and fill out a change of address form. You will receive a new voter identification card with your new precinct location.

When you move out of the city, you must register in your new city or township. If the move was within 60 days of the election, you are entitled to vote at your old precinct; but you must sign a cancellation form at that time. Also helpful is the Secretary of State's new voter information web site:  www.michigan.gov/sos

When and where do I register to vote?
You can register to vote at anytime at the City Clerk’s Office, County Clerk’s Office, any Secretary of State branch office, and designated state agency offices.

I registered, why can’t I vote?
To be eligible to vote in an election, you must have registered at least 30 days prior to that election.

I'm not sure if I am registered , how do I find out?
You can call the City Clerk's Office and they will be happy to check for you.  Keep in mind that there is a registration cut-off date of 30 days prior to an election, so make sure you give yourself sufficient time to register in case you aren't.

I think I live within the city limits and may possibly be registered in the City but I'm not sure, how do I check this out?
The City Clerk's Office can help you. Even if we find that you do in fact live outside the city limits, there are sources available to us to research and direct you accordingly.

I've misplaced my Voter Identification Card, am I able to get a replacement even though I have not moved?
Yes, contact the City Clerk's Office and ask them to verify that you are currently registered and if you are, ask them to mail you a new Voter Identification Card.